Monday, November 19, 2007

Exposing My Dirty Laundry...to the Washing Machine That Is


I am pretty sure I did about eight loads like this over the weekend. Ugh, I hate laundry. And I can't help but comment that is probably the ugliest laundry basket I have ever seen. No wonder I would avoid it.
This cartoon reminds me of my childhood.


When I was younger my mom would constantly tell me to pick up my room before the cleaning ladies came. Every child, myself included, is always flabbergasted as to why they have to clean before the "cleaning ladies" come to do their job.
It would get to the point where my mom would go into my room and pick up the clothes on the floor herself. I was amazed and thought I had won the war when I came back and my room was all picked up from her doing. It took a few weeks before I realized she had put all the things she picked up in trash bags and stored them in her closet. I was only allowed one item back for a week at a time, and I had to keep my room spotless or all the rest went to Goodwill. "If you can't take care of your things by putting them away then you don't deserve to have them."
It's a good thing that rule doesn't apple today or I would have next to nothing in my house right now.
The organization of my life continues.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a bad ass idea. I'm going to do that with my kids, accept with food, when they don't finish dinner that means one less meal a day, until they realize what the starving kids in Africa really feel and why as American we must overindulge to point that our health suffers and we think McDonalds for breakfast, Taco Bell for Lunch, and Chick Fil A for dinner makes a well rounded meal, and makes us mulicultural.

Anonymous said...

My parents always said the same thing and I was always wondering what the hell.

Down the street from my place on Barrington Dr. there was a laundry mat. Every two or three weeks I would take two or three basket fulls of clothes, drop it off sunday morning and pick it up sunday evening. They do it by weight, but I would usually pay just under $20 and they would was, fold, and hang everything.

I tried that in california and it was way too expensive. Also, if you are like me and hate/can't iron, buy a steamer from bed bath & beyond. I will admit, I have been in that store, but only once. It doesn't work great on all clothes, but so much easier. Just don't burn yourself on the steam.

Lauren Groblewski said...

anonymous~
Does that mean you don't feel like you have a wonderful understanding of Italian culture when you eat Papa John's? :)

Deef~
I probably should have sucked it up and taken all my clothes to one of these laundry places. How much do you think 65 pounds would have been?

alyssa said...

I am amazed that your mom has the same sick love for cruelty as my mom! I think I paid for that woman's ipod with buying back my things (10 cents an item and 25 cents for repeat offenders). To make matters worse, she still tries to do it ... and I don't live there anymore. Anyway, I hope this helps your project. :)

Lauren Groblewski said...

Alyssa~
How do all moms come up with these same crazy ideas?!?